Ir al contenido principal

Un hombre que detestaba a Freud conoció mejor que nadie a Lolita.



 


January 30, 1966

Why Nabokov Detests Freud

The following are excerpts from an interview the National Educational Television network conducted with Vladimir Nabokov, the Russian-born author of "Lolita," at his home in Switzerland. The program, produced by Robert Hughes, is on Channel 13 Thursday from 9:30 to 10 P.M.The first part of my life is marked by a rather chronological neatness. I spent my first twenty years in Russia, the next twenty years in Western Europe, and the 20 years after that, from 1940 to 1960, in America. I have been living in Europe again for five years now, but I cannot promise to stay around another 15 so as to retain the rhythm. Nor can I predict what new books I may write. I am in the process of translating "Lolita" into Russian, which is like completing the circle of my creative life, or rather starting a new spiral. I live in Montreux for certain family reasons*I've a sister in Geneva and a son not very far away in Milan*and also because I find the view so wonderfully soothing and exhilarating according to my mood and the mood of the lake.
Ever since the days when such formidable mediocrities as Galsworthy, Dreiser, Tagore, Maxim Gorky, Romain Rolland and Thomas Mann were being accepted as geniuses, I have been perplexed and amused by fabricated notions about so-called "great books." That, for instance, Mann's asinine "Death in Venice," or Pasternak's melodramatic, vilely written "Dr. Zhivago," or Faulkner's corn-cobby chronicles can be considered "masterpieces" or at least what journalists term "great books," is to me the sort of absurd delusion as when a hypnotized person makes love to a chair. My greatest masterpieces of twentieth century prose are, in this order: Joyce's "Ulysses"; Kafka's "Transformation"; Bely's "St. Petersburg," and the first half of Proust's fairy tale, "In Search of Lost Time."
What do you think of recent American writing?
Well, seldom more than two or three really first-rate writers exist simultaneously in a given generation. I think that Salinger and Updike are by far the finest artists in recent years.
I'm not a good speaker, you see. When I start to speak, I have immediately four or five lines of thought*sort of roads, you know, trails going various ways. And I have to decide which trail I'm going to follow, and while I decide this, hawing and hemming begins, and it may be very upsetting because I hear it myself. I can never understand those limpid, fluid speakers, as my father was, who just deliver perfect phrases, beautifully built, with an aphorism here, you know, and a metaphor there. I can't do it. I have to think it out; I have to take a pencil; I have to write it down laboriously; have it before me. I do things like that. It's probably psychological. I can imagine what old Freud would have said, whom I heartily detest, as my readers know by now.
Mr. Nabokov, would you tell us why it is that you detest Dr. Freud?
I think he's crude, I think he's medieval, and I don't want an elderly gentleman from Vienna with an umbrella inflicting his dreams upon me. I don't have the dreams that he discusses in his books. I don't see umbrellas in my dreams. Or balloons.
I think that the creative artist is an exile in his study, in his bedroom, in the circle of his lamplight. He's quite alone there; he's the lone wolf. As soon as he's together with somebody else he shares his secret, he shares his mystery, he shares his God with somebody else.
What is your greatest pleasure in writing?
There is the first satisfaction of arranging it on a bit of paper; after many, many false tries, false moves, finally you have the sentence that you recognize as the one you are looking for, the one you have lost somewhere, sometime... It seems perfect to you . . . It doesn't mean that perhaps five years hence it won't look to you horrible . . . The next pleasure is of reading it to your wife. She and I are my best audience, you see. I should say my main audience. After that, when the thing is published, I do imagine a number of people whom I like, whom I admire, with whom I feel close kinship. It is nice to think that those people are reading that, perhaps at this very instant. But that's about all. I don't care about the general public.

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Pepe Mujica mató a un policía por la espalda

Contra Pepe Mujica Todos lo alaban por sus “frases profundas”, por su aspecto humilde, porque anda en un carro destartalado... bueno, no todos: uno de los mejores escritores argentinos nos cuenta acá por qué el ex presidente uruguayo no le simpatiza para nada. Marcelo Birmajer * Mi primer problema con Pepe Mujica es que no le entiendo nada cuando habla. Habla con la boca cerrada. Arrastra las palabras como si no quisiera soltarlas, como un jugador de ajedrez que se queda con la ficha en la mano porque teme dejarla en tal o cual casillero y eterniza el movimiento, enervando al contrincante. Me pasa con él como con las películas españolas en la televisión, que solo las entiendo con subtítulos. Pero a Mujica no lo subtitulan, lo aplauden, aunque estoy seguro de que quienes lo aplauden tampoco entienden lo que dice. Lo aplauden porque tiene pinta de pobre, porque tiene un perro con tres patas, porque no tiene la menor relevancia en el mundo; pero en ningún caso

Partidos políticos sordos, ciegos y usurpadores

Miguel Henrique Otero Con sólidos argumentos políticos y legales, a los que cabe sumar otros provenientes del más elemental sentido común, organizaciones no partidistas, académicas, especializadas y autónomas, expertos de indiscutible calificación, y también veteranos políticos y otros en ejercicio -muchos de los cuales han sido críticos con relación a ciertos aspectos relativos a la gestión del gobierno interino- expresaron en días recientes que la decisión de una mayoría de la Asamblea Nacional de sustituir la figura del presidente encargado, ejercida hasta ahora por Juan Guaidó Márquez, para reemplazarla por la de una especie de gobierno parlamentario es un error. Un grave error que, para peor, no tiene antecedentes en el desempeño republicano de Venezuela. Hay que considerar, como primera cuestión, tal como hace el impecable comunicado que el Bloque Constitucional de Venezuela publicó el 24 de diciembre, que la usurpación se mantiene. Que Venezuela no ha dejado de estar en una situ

Oraciones al aire y helicópteros caídos

Ramón Hernández L os helicópteros Panare son rusos y baratos. Cuestan en catálogo entre 3 millones y 8 millones de dólares cada uno, también más, de acuerdo con los requerimientos que haga del comprador. Los comercializa de manera exclusiva la compañía Rosoboronexpor, una empresa mixta de la Federación Rusa encargada de la importación y exportación de equipos militares, tecnología y servicios. Suministra desde una bala hasta portaviones, granadas y helicópteros para 80 pasajeros, además de aviones supersónicos de combate. En 2004 Venezuela firmó con el gobierno de Vladimir Putin la compra de 40 helicópteros y 100.000 fusiles automáticos de asalto AK103, que debían ser calibre 5,56 mm y con capacidad para adaptar un lanzagranadas de 40 mm, pero se adquirieron de calibre 7,62 X 30 mm, que implicó un cambio total en el stock de munición y descartó las pretensiones de unificar en el calibre 5,56 x 45 mm, que se empleaba en Venezuela. Los tres primeros helicópteros multipropósito MI17V5